Discuss bills, work, feelings and responsibilities, and anything else that is on your mind. Be good to your partner and be respectful, as this will reflect back on your level of happiness. Live with people who are clean and respectful, people who will help you live an easy clean life. You can’t be in sobriety while your roommate is an alcoholic, so choose who you live with carefully.
- “There’s this idea that you’re either a problem drinker or an alcoholic, or a normal drinker who has no issues with alcohol.
- Prioritizing self-care and self-awareness are essential to your self-growth, and these new healthier habits can help you along the way.
- If you are seeking advice on how to better your sobriety, we can help.
- You may ask yourself, is my life really going to get better?
- There are plenty of people who slowly trudge through the remainder of their lives fueled by cigarettes, sugar, and grievance.
Even when they all drank, I didn’t care because that wasn’t the focus of the gathering and nobody got drunk. I learned that having a group of friends over for pizza and board games was perfectly fine for me and actually much more fun than getting drunk and sloppy at some club. Once I decided that I was really, really done with drinking, I decided to be more open-minded about how I spent my time. Your ability to remember things improves and the fogginess of drinking dissipates. The idea that problematic drinking can be assessed on a curve is more than an observation, it’s medical science.
Focusing on Building Healthy Relationships
For a period it was, “I’m an alcoholic,” and that tended to silence anyone (for clarification, I no longer identify as an alcoholic). These days, unless I’m feeling generous, I simply say, “I don’t drink,” and leave it at that. When I was drinking, it never occurred to me that I was an introvert. I would have classified myself as someone who loved to be around people and go out with them at night. Thinking back to before I was sober, I usually had to drink to be around people.
- Knowing who you’ll be before and after the change is a big enough unknown that can hold you back from fully committing to the process.
- Here are some ideas to try that will help you learn to enjoy life sober and will help you stay active, social and entertained.
- This means that you’ll wake up after feeling like you drank or used in a dream.
- Chaos has been our reality for so long, we’re not sure how a normal, sober life will go.
You can pay your rent, buy actual groceries, and still have fun money to go see a movie or grab coffee with friends. Alcohol costs money, prescription pills cost money, drugs, in general, cost money. Especially when you build up a tolerance to drugs (increasing your dosage and continuously needing more of them), all those dollars add up.
Long Term Rewards
When you’re drinking, you lose all ability to process rational thought and your brain acts mainly on impulses and immediate gratification. This leads to poor judgement as all decisions are a means to an end for an addict. Anyone whose ever been drunk has experienced the drunk munchies. Late night benders can result in early morning stops at Jack-in-the-Box or microwave pizzas.
What does sober life mean?
Define Sobriety in Terms That Are Meaningful to You
For some people, being sober may mean not experiencing any measurable effects of drugs or alcohol. To others, it could mean more than just avoiding using recreational or prescription drugs or drinking alcohol, but achieving good mental health.
On the same token, alcoholism can lead to anemia and liver disease. Not to mention, addiction can also lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders, which often impair the mental and physical well-being of a user. On the regular, substance abuse can lead to hangovers, excruciating withdrawal https://ecosoberhouse.com/article/sober-life/ symptoms, and a weakened immune system. It can also dehydrate and deprive the body of essential vitamins and antioxidants. In sobriety we should accept the feelings or emotions we feel and work through them. And if you don’t want to be bored, then you have the power to change that.
Sober Life Radio featuring Brett Bramble
This isn’t to say that all of your friends will be threatened, or that all of your friendships will change. Some will certainly remain, but even those aren’t necessarily long-game friendships. Sobriety is kind of like the fast-pass line at Disneyland, except the ride is growing up.
- Community stories from across Colorado and updates on your favorite PBS programs, in your inbox every Tuesday.
- Being comfortable with communicating can empower you to reach out and seek guidance and assistance from your peers, support system, and addiction treatment specialists, and mental health professionals.
- If you can stick it out through those first 30 days of emotions, it will get easier.
Samaritan Inns’ Treatment and Recovery Continuum has proven results in our unique holistic approach to treating those with addictions. We give homeless and addicted men and women the opportunity to rebuild their lives. When you drink a lot, your concept of fun is often limited to what’s on tap.